Darts betting is often considered a niche market for sports betting fans. While football, rugby, motorsports and other events often grab the attention of most bettors, it is usually only punters with a love of the game who bet on darts. If you haven’t tried your hand at darts betting yet, you’re missing out. This is how betting on darts online works.
Top Darts Betting Sites:
Types of Darts Bets
Any major bookie which is offering bets on darts will usually provide a variety of bets. Sportsbooks which specialise in darts betting will carry more different types of bets and markets than those sites which scarcely cover the sport. Before wagering on darts, it is essential that you understand the types of markets open to you. The most commonly found darts bets online include:
- Match Bets: The most basic type of darts bet, a match bet involves on choosing the winner of a game of darts. That’s all there is to it, really.
- Outright Bets: By contrast, outright betting involves choosing the winner of a tournament or competition.
- Tournament Bets: As well as placing outright bets on tournaments, punters also have the option of betting on a darts player to progress to a specific round. This is sometimes known as quarter-betting.
- Over/Under Bets: Over and under betting is commonplace in darts. With an over bet, you are essentially wagering that a darts player will win over “X” matches. Conversely, the under bet involves wagering that the game will end in under “X” matches. For instance, if you bet on “Over 4.5” sets, then the game needs to involve five sets being played to be a winning bet.
- Handicap Bets: Players can also bet on handicaps. Handicaps will be familiar to American bettors. Handicaps bets attempt to eradicate favourites and underdogs. For instance, if you have a player to win with a -2.5 handicap, then that player must win 3 matches to zero for the bet to land.
- 180 Bets: Punters can also wager money on how many 180s a player will land in a match. A similar bet involves wagering on the player with the highest checkout. These may appear as over/under bets, too, and often come with high odds.
- In-Play Bets: Live in-play betting is possible with darts. However, owing to how rapidly the game is played, bettors need to be fast and, on their toes, when wagering. Some permit players to cash out early. The types of live in-play bets which are available vary from site to site.
Major Darts Competitions
As well as knowing which darts bets are open to you, it also helps to have a good understanding of the types of competitions that are out there. Here are a few of the bigger and more prominent ones.
- World Championships: Held every year in December and January. It is played in London and features the world’s best players.
- Premier League of Darts: This 16-week tournament is played between February and May across the UK, Ireland and the Netherlands.
- World Grand Prix: The World Grand Prix is held in October in Ireland. A total of 32 worldwide players compete in this event.
- The Masters: First held in 2013, the Masters is held in England in late January and February. It features the top 16 darts players in the world.
- World Series of Darts: The World Series of Darts takes place in various cities and countries each year. Held in November, this is rapidly becoming a popular tournament to bet on amongst darts fans.
Of course, there are plenty of other regional, national and international darts competitions, leagues and tournaments to have a punt on, too. Which ones are available for you to wager on depends on the sportsbook you choose to play at.
Where to Bet on Darts Online
The next step before you wager on darts is finding somewhere to play. You are spoilt for choice when it comes to this. Most major online sportsbooks provide punters with the opportunity to wager on darts. Again, the array of markets open to you depends on the size and quality of the online bookie you sign up to. Not all online sportsbooks offer live streaming or in-play bets when it comes to darts. However, most of the more recognisable, world-famous sportsbooks do.
When choosing an online bookie to wager on darts, it is ideal to pick a site which offers a wide variety of sporting events. Moreover, you’re going to want adjustable odds. Sometimes, specific bets work better when you adjust the odds format.
It is also worth checking out the promotions and bonuses at sportsbooks. Some may have special offers related to darts betting, and you’ll want to take full advantage of those. At the same time, if you fancy a flutter at other sports, make sure that your sportsbook offers those bets, too.
Lastly – and this should go without saying – make sure that your chosen sportsbook is licensed, regulated and legal in the country you reside in.
Darts Betting Tips
If you’re ready to start betting on darts, there is just one thing left to cover – tips. It certainly won’t hurt to pay attention to these few handy hints and tips.
Firstly, darts bettors should make sure they watch games and pay attention to statistics. These might help you get a feeling for who is likely to win a tournament or a match. If you want a little reassurance, it can help to identify tipsters who specialise in darts betting.
Players should also sign up to several bookmakers. By doing so, darts fans can compare the odds at several online sportsbooks. This will give them several options when it comes to placing bets with the most favourable odds.
Lastly, it is not advisable to bet on far-flung tournaments you know little about. Only stick to betting on competitions (and players) you are familiar with. It may be tempting to wager money on an underdog, but it is far safer to go with what you know.
Betting on Darts Events
Betting on darts events is bigger than ever thanks to the sport growing in popularity all over the world. The sport has become a massive spectator event from championship to championship, with big names having helped to popularise what has otherwise been known as a humble pub game across the years. Online sportsbooks and high street bookmakers have opened up more and more darts markets for you to bet on, meaning that there’s never been a better time to start looking at what’s available for your money.
Darts Betting Online
Darts betting online is bigger than ever, though it’s worth remembering that you don’t have to bet outright on matches unless you want to! There’s now a huge range of different propositions and precise markets for you to choose from if you know more than a thing or two about your 180s or the major players in the game. If you’re bored of always betting on darts events outright, do take a closer look at the prop bets available from bookmaker to bookmaker.
Darts World Championship Betting
Darts World Championship betting is largely where much of the darts punting action lies, and this is thanks to the fact that the game’s biggest and best players get involved. Intensive darts action is always on the card at this yearly event, which means that in play or live betting can get particularly interesting. Regardless of form or style when it comes to the players lining up to the oche, who’s to say quite which way one game is going to go? Take a look at in play markets at big events and tournaments to take advantage of some pretty lucrative markets.
Correct Score Betting in Darts
Correct score betting in darts is just one great way to make things interesting when it comes to placing money on the sport.
- Between two players in any given match, predict what you think will be the final total score.
- Some bookmakers will offer over/under opportunities in these markets, which means you will simply need to decide whether you think a bookie is going too high or two low with their overall guess.
- This is a market for the luckiest betters out there – this type of bet can make things fairly intense!
Darts Handicap Betting
Darts handicap betting – otherwise referred to as a handicap 2-way bet – works both in the favour of the bookmaker as well as the better. In these markets, you can expect to see odds for the favourite in any given match with win conditions attached, meaning that you’ll only ever expect to win big if your pick satisfies a number of extra circumstances. For example, the favourite may be expected to win by a certain amount for odds to return in your favour. It’s an interesting move to balance odds out if an underdog is particularly at risk – betting on darts events with a twist.
The 180 is, of course, a staple of any darts match. It’s the highest score you can achieve with any three darts, which means you will need to hit a triple 20 three times in a row. Here’s how darts 180s come into play when it comes to betting markets:
- Darts 180s bets allow you to predict how many 180s you think will be scored in any given match.
- This type of market is very popular during big championships, particularly as the best players will be bringing their A-games and will be unlikely to work with any other tactic than to be the best!
- Once again, over/under markets can be offered here, which means a bookmaker may simply as you for your opinion on their prediction.
Highest Checkout in Darts
Betting on the highest checkout in darts match essentially revolves around how much you think a given player in a match will score with their last three darts. Darts matches require for players to land either on the bull’s eye or a double, meaning that you can use these rules to decide how much you think the biggest final score will be. This is a fairly risky market for newcomers betting on darts events, though again, bookmakers may make things easy on you with a points spread or over/under opportunities.
Live Darts Betting
Live darts betting is growing in popularity and it’s a no-brainer to see why. Live betting during matches allows punters to take advantage of the intensity of certain matches and situations, meaning that in championship matches, for example, you can choose from a range of precise or intensive markets that will change depending upon how a player is performing. Is the favourite bottling it? Bet against them in a twist market. Is the underdog scoring more 180s than expected? Throw some money into a 180s pot mid-match – and take advantage of an ever-evolving game as it unfolds.
Darts Betting Tips
Darts betting tips will vary, particularly as no two games are ever going to be quite the same. Therefore, do always take generic tips and advice with a pinch of salt – and punt any way you feel most comfortable. General advice would be to research the markets and to get to know the game a little better before you start looking at more precise bets. Learn about the players, their form, and how you think they will perform in high intensity championships – and ultimately, you could find yourself running regular bets to a very tidy profit. If you have the time and money to put in, you’ll find darts a very rewarding spectator sport.
Darts Bet Markets
These are just a handful of ways people are betting on darts events – there are individual prop bets and accumulator opportunities out there for you to take advantage of, too. Markets available will likely vary from bookmaker to bookmaker, which means a smart move for any punter will be to look closely at what each brand and platform is offering. Do your homework – and learn more about what’s out there for you!
18+ Gamble Responsibly – Terms and Conditions Apply
Before you accept any darts betting bonus – please remember that Terms and Conditions Apply.
Always carefully read the full Bonus Terms and Conditions as well as the General Terms and Conditions before signing up to a darts betting site.
BeGambleAware = https://www.begambleaware.org/
GamStop = https://www.gamstop.co.uk/